If you are looking for an easy and flavorful side dish for your next picnic or potluck, this grape salad is a great addition to any spread. It can be prepared in advance and then stored in the refrigerator until ready to serve. This recipe uses a combination of green and red grapes for color and interest. However, you can make your own variation to this dish using your favorite firm fruits. Diced apple or pear work well, or melon balls such as cantaloupe or honeydew.
For added crunch, this grape salad has the option of being topped with toasted pecans. You can feel free to use your favorite toasted nut or eliminate the nuts entirely if allergies are a concern. For a sweeter and unique twist, top the salad with toffee pieces instead.
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed Lemon juice
- 2 pounds seedless red grapes
- 2 pounds seedless green grapes
- 1/4 tablespoons chopped pecans (optional)
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
Gather the ingredients.
In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, Greek yogurt, granulated sugar, lemon zest, and lemon juice until blended.
Add the grapes and toss to coat.
Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
In a dry pan, toast the pecans until lightly browned and fragrant.
Sprinkle the grape salad with the toasted pecans and with brown sugar just before serving.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
How to Toast Nuts
This recipe calls for toasted pecans to be added to the final dish. Nuts can to toasted to release some of their natural oils and to enhance the flavor. Nuts can be toasted in a variety of ways.
- Stovetop – place the nuts in a dry pan over medium heat. Shake the pan or stir continuously to keep the nuts from burning. Once the nuts are fragrant, remove from the heat and immediately place in a heatproof bowl. Otherwise the nuts will continue to toast in the warm pan.
- Oven – place the nuts on a rimmed baking sheet and toast in a 350 degree oven. Watch carefully as the nuts can burn quickly. Once the nuts are fragrant, immediately remove the pan from the oven place in a heatproof bowl to cool.
- Microwave – Place the nuts in an even layer on a microwave-safe plate or dish. Microwave for 1-minute intervals, removing the plate and tossing each time until the nuts are sizzling, golden, and toasted.
- Prepared – some grocery stores sell nuts that have already been toasted and chopped for convenience. This is a great option if you are short on time.